Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Put off the old and put on the new


As I sat down at my desk trying to put the weekly bulletin together, my laptop started its usual “wahala”.
 The screen began to flicker, after about a few taps on the back, I finally had an “a-ha” moment.

A few years ago, my dad had given me his laptop when I asked him for a laptop. After about two years the laptop started acting up, the screen would flicker from time to time and finally one day it went completely “bonkers”. Thankfully I had been working off my flash drive and was able to save most of my documents.  My mum took the laptop to the computer village to fix it and they were able to sort it out.
During this period, the office had bought a brand new laptop for the department. The only challenge with this new laptop is that the application installed is Windows 8. Rather than taking time out to learn how the new and improved version works, I reverted to my old laptop. Today I had to climb a fleet of stairs carrying my two laptops. So what really is my problem? Why would I rather tap my old laptop on the back than take time to experience the joys of the new laptop?

I believe this is how we are with regards to our Christian walk. There are many things that are ours due to Christ sacrifice on the cross, things such as forgiveness, health, peace, joy, prosperity etc. However many of us choose the old way of life. Some of us try the new life but still hold onto aspects of the old life. We would rather stick to the old covenant than transfer to the new covenant. This thing called Grace is just too difficult to understand so we would rather stick to works and the law. If this is you, I implore you to put off the old way of life and come into the blessings of the new covenant. Christ has done exceedingly and abundantly above all we could ever imagine or hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment